Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Viola Sonata No. 2 "La Grenouillère"

Michael and I read two stories by Guy de Maupassant that have action that takes place in a night spot on the Seine known as "La Grenouillère."

The most famous image of "La Grenouillère" is a painting by Claude Monet:



My musical mind went (literally) into the swamp, and I thought it would be fun to write a piece for viola and piano that would incorporate frog sounds and folk songs about frogs.

. . . et voilà.



You can listen here, and the music is available on this page of the IMSLP.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on another work completed. In the moment I am listening to the Jaëll adagio as I type, and think how alike are the "tenor" voices from various instruments, such that the mid-section solo in the piano spans a similar range, yielding a distinctive musical meaning from the higher voices and voicing. Know that many more are affected by your work than would tell/write you to say. Such is the nature of things. Persevere.

Elaine Fine said...

Thank you so much, Anonymous! Your comment really lifted my (sometimes fragile) spirits.