Thursday, May 29, 2008

Pencil Mania and other Cartoon Madness

Thanks to the influence of Patty, I have spent far too much time this morning watching cartoons from the early 1930s by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera (yup--the people who made the Flintstones). This film is part of an early joint venture that they called the Van Beuren Studios (you can read all about Hanna and Barbera here), and looks like it might have served as an influence for my beloved Harold and the Purple Crayon. Make sure to watch the very spicy and brilliant (though occasionally offensive) Opening Night on Patty's site as well.

1 comment:

Patty said...

So many of those old cartoons are offensive, aren't they? I've hesitated putting them up, but what can ya do? They were certainly from a different time. I suppose I should put a warning up about the offensiveness, eh?

Ah well ... didn't ... so there you go.