Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"The future is not theirs."

This is a "review" of the music written by women that was performed at the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in Chicago, which is part of this publication about the Congress of Women held in the Woman's Building of the Exposition. (Be sure to read pages 570-573--you can look at a PDF of those pages here--to get Mrs. Gaston Boyd's take on women in music, which I find very interesting.)



I hope the writer is writing about the singers and not the composers.



On February 28 John David and I will be playing Clara Kathleen Rogers's Violin Sonata in D minor, which was played during the 1893 Columbian Exhibition. It's an excellent piece. My prediction is that it will be performed a great deal in the future, particularly since it's now available in the IMSLP.

N.B. On page 579 there is an entry by Mrs. Caroline Westcott Romney called "Four Months Old in Mexico." I imagine she is a relative of Mitt.

No comments: