Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Burn Relief



It sounds crazy, but two hours ago I was in terrible pain from a "little" steam accident involving vegetables, a microwave, some plastic wrap, and a serious dose of stupidity. I wrapped my finger in aloe (we keep a plant on the window above the sink), but when it began to hurt so much that it made my stomach hurt, I took to the internet and found a discussion about using aluminum foil to treat burns. What? It sounds crazy, but it really does work. It may be because the foil keeps the burned skin away from the air, it may be because the foil makes the finger sweat, and sweat promotes healing, of it might have something to do with the foil itself. I will be keeping this thing on all night (no practicing for me), but I can tell you that it really doesn't hurt much at all right now.

It was also therapeutic to read about the other stupid ways other people managed to burn their fingers.

UPDATE:



After 12 hours (a night of sleep) my finger feels normal. I'm typing with it. It looks a little worse for wear, but there is no blistering. This is really a miracle cure. Aluminium foil! Who woulda thunk!

2 comments:

Lisa Hirsch said...

I am so sorry! I hope your finger heals up quickly.

Anonymous said...

Aluminum is a commonly used metal for heat sinks. It is used in circuit protection but. It draws heat away by conduction. The more surface area the better. It has worked for my burns too.