Monday, August 29, 2011

"Freekeh" Nutrition Labeling



Puns did abound in our Freekeh shopping experience, but imagine my surprise when I looked at the package, particularly the line on the copy that reads, "You will love the taste and benefit from its nutritional values."

Now look at the reported "nutritional values!"



Freekeh actually does have quite a bit of nutritional value, and has an interesting history. I'm excited to try cooking with it.

UPDATE: When I opened up the package of Freekeh, it smelled like smokey burnt grain. I rinsed it a few times, as suggested on the package, picked out some of the charred bits, and then I cooked it like rice. It didn't smell very good while it was cooking. It reminded of the way pasta or grain smells when it gets stuck on the burner while food is cooking. After cooking the Freekah, I rinsed the cooked grain through a strainer, and it smelled like the way burnt wood smells after you douse it with water. The texture was kind of chewy, which didn't bother me, but I couldn't get past the taste that I have seen described as "smokey." "Smokey" sums it up well.

1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

Awwww, freak out!