Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hope for High-Profile Music

I guess it isn't really appropriate to call the music that Esperanza Spalding writes and performs either "jazz" or "pop music," but she was given recognition as "best new artist" by the Grammy Award committee for what she does. I heard a snippet of her playing and singing on the TV news last night, and was enchanted.

There's a great disconnect between all the fantastic new "classical" recordings I hear every year, and the choices made by the Grammy classical people, but obviously there is someone on the committee that handles "best new artist" who has good judgment and musical taste.

It wasn't possible for me to load the CBS YouTube piece about her (probably because of too many people trying to access it), but I did enjoy reading the comments.

Here she is playing at the Nobel Peace Prize celebration:

No comments: